saturday snack / 006

March 15, 2014

I have found that one of the hardest parts of trying to make healthier choices, when it comes to what you eat, is the in between meals stage: snacks. To make it easier for you, each week I will bring you a new healthy option for snacking.

Hummus was a dip I was reluctant to try for the longest time. I think I tried one that wasn't flavored and wasn't a fan. Then, I discovered some delicious flavors at Trader Joes and everything changed. My favorite so far is the cilantro and jalapeƱo flavor. There are many different recipes out there to make your own-I just haven't ventured into that line of business yet, but when I do, you will be hearing about it. 

Hummus + vegetable slices are a great way to inch towards your daily 9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, because everyone eats 9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day-RIGHT?!?! But really, this snack will fulfill your daily requirements of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and 2.5 servings of vegetables!
Serving Size here is 2 Tablespoons of Hummus, 1 cup of carrots, 1 stalk of celery, 1/2 bell pepper
• 172 Calories • 6g of fat • 1g saturated fat • 0g cholesterol • 325mg sodium • 809mg potassium • 23g carbs • 10g fiber • 12g sugar • 5g protein •

To note: the sugar here is naturally found in the vegetables, not the hummus.  








To make this a portable snack for lunches I put my hummus in these containers that have a removable ice pack that snaps into the lid. While I was searching Amazon for these containers, I came across these ones that would work perfectly for this kind of thing! It keeps your hummus and vegetables chilled until it's snackin time!

Enjoy!


Check out other healthy snacking options!  

No comments :

Post a Comment