saturday snack / 011

April 26, 2014

I have found that one of the hardest parts of trying to make healthier choices, when it comes to what you eat, is the in between meals stage: snacks. To make it easier for you, each week I will bring you a new healthy option for snacking.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a fish person at all. In that I don't like fishing, I think fish are slimy and disgusting, and I hate the taste of it. For some reason, tuna I can deal with (along with shellfish). I think maybe because my mom would make us tuna sandwiches when we were young. I really really wish I could stand the taste of fish, because it is packed full of beneficial omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that are healthy for your heart! So, whenever I think of it, I make a batch of tuna for tuna sandwiches.

I took this concept, made healthy modifications to the traditional tuna recipe and then sized it down to snack form. Traditionally, tuna is made with mayonnaise, which is filled with saturated fat. Switch it out with plain greek yogurt for not only a lower fat option but also added protein. Add a spoonful of your mixture onto a cracker and you have a healthy snack! I used triscuits and New York style bagel crisps.
Serving Size 1* • 85 Calories • 0g of fat • 0g saturated fat • 31g cholesterol • 290mg sodium • 200mg potassium • 2g carbs • 0g fiber • 1g sugar • 17g protein •
*serving size is for 1/4 of the tuna recipe, and not including crackers. 

Tuna
Servings: 4
2 5oz cans tuna
1 teaspoon 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
1 medium stalk of celery
1 tablespoon chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
Juice from 1/4 of a lemon
Salt, Peper, and garlic salt to taste
Drain tuna cans of water, place in a bowl. Add Greek yogurt and mix with a fork. Chop up celery, red onion, and green onion and add to the mixture. Add in lemon juice and seasonings.

Enjoy!

 Check out other healthy snacking options!

No comments :

Post a Comment