Saturday Snack / 001

February 8, 2014

I have found that one of the hardest parts of trying to make healthier choices, when it comes to what you eat, is the in between meals stage: snacks. It's easy to revert to a bag of chips or cookies when it is right there staring you in the face. To make it easier for you, each week I will bring you a new healthy option for snacking. Some of these will be quick snacks you can whip up in your kitchen and others will be reviews for snacks found in the grocery store isles. I hope you find this new installment helpful and fun! 

I decided to start of this series of posts with one of my favorite snacks. It doesn't really have a name but if I were to name it I guess it would be peanut butter banana toast, original I know. This is one of my go-to snacks because I always seem to have toast, peanut butter and bananas on hand.

 
• Serving Size: 1 • 285 Calories • 10g of fat • 2g saturated fat • 0g cholesterol • 184mg sodium • 523mg potassium • 43g carbs • 8g fiber • 16g sugar • 10g protein 

The added flax seed gives this snack an added boost of the essential fatty acid omega-3!
The reason there is a higher sugar content in this snack, is from the banana. Fruits naturally contain high amounts of sugar, but the high amounts of vitamins and minerals found in fruits balance out the high sugar content. With 8 grams of fiber, you are already 1/3 of the way to meeting the recommended daily intake of fiber.


Peanut Butter Banana Toast
  • 1 piece of whole wheat bread (toasted)
  • 1T of Peanut Butter
  • 1/2t of ground flax seed
  • Sprinkle of cinnamon
  • 1 medium sliced banana
Toast your bread, spread on Peanut Butter, sprinkle flax seed and cinnamon evenly over the peanut butter and top with sliced banana! Enjoy!

Check out other healthy snacking options!

No comments :

Post a Comment