saturday snack / 010

April 19, 2014

I have found that one of the hardest parts of trying to make healthier choices, when it comes to what you eat, is the in between meals stage: snacks. To make it easier for you, each week I will bring you a new healthy option for snacking.
When I was at the ophthalmologist a couple weeks ago, the doctor and I struck up a conversation about my studies. I love to hear people's reactions when I tell them I'm studying nutrition. 50% of the responses are "You will always have a job in America," and the other 50% go something like this: "What can you do with that." Per usual, I was waiting for one of the typical responses from my doctor,  but he surprised me with what he said. "You obviously know what is good and healthy for you, but is there one thing that is just your weakness." Before he could finish his sentence I blurted out "ice cream." Yes, it is true, I'm a sucker for ice cream. But if I'm going to sacrifice some calories and fat, it better be drop dead delicious. 
This week I bring you a snack that is more healthy for you than ice cream and tastes almost just as delicious. I say almost because I'm pretty picky about my frozen dairy treats, but everyone I talk to loves this snack. I'm probably the last person on Earth to try this out, but none the less here it is: frozen banana ice cream


It's the easiest thing in the world to put together. I think the trick is to start with a ripe banana, cut it up into slices, and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and pop in the freezer. These won't get hard like ice cubes, but leave them in there over night and they should be good. Use them or place them in a frozen baggie for later. Put them in a food processor, or blender, and blend until smooth.


And of course, nothing is safe from my peanut butter. Heat up a teaspoon or so and drizzle over your healthy treat!
Banana Ice cream + Peanut Butter topping
Serving Size 1 • 137 Calories • 3g of fat • 1g saturated fat • 0g cholesterol • 25mg sodium • 454mg potassium • 28g carbs • 3g fiber • 15g sugar • 2g protein •

Check out other healthy snacking options!  

No comments :

Post a Comment